Voting in Care Facilities for the April 2021 Election
The Wisconsin Elections Commission (WEC) recently met to discuss care facility voting for the April 6, 2021 Spring Election. Care facilities include nursing homes, group homes, Adult Family Homes, and some other congregate living settings.
WEC determined that changes in COVID-19 and vaccination rates will allow for Special Voting Deputies (SVDs) to administer voting in some facilities. Municipal clerks will contact each facility normally served by SVDs to discuss visitation policies with staff to determine if SVD voting will be possible. The WEC has recorded a webinar to explain this process and created reference materials that explain the by-mail absentee voting options and procedures for care facility residents and staff if visitation is still not allowed. They can be found at the following links:
- Informational webinar: https://elections.wi.gov/node/7372
- Voting Information Packet: https://elections.wi.gov/node/7364
These resources are designed for residents and service providers in residential care facilities seeking information on voting rights and on the process.
- Compliance with Residents’ Rights Requirement related to Nursing Home Residents’ Right to Vote: Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services, October 5th 2020.
- Wisconsin Board on Aging and Long-term Care memo on voting: August 6th 2020.
- Assisting Cognitively Impaired Individuals with Voting: A Quick Guide: America Bar Association Commission on Law and Aging and the Penn Memory Center.
- Residential Service Providers: Resources for Voters with Disabilities: Disability Vote Coalition, updated January 2021.