Quick Reference: Guardianship and Voting
Learn about your right to vote in Wisconsin and the only way that it can be taken away (by a court). Find out the steps you can take to ask for your right to vote again if it has been taken.
Petition to Restore Ward’s Right to Vote
The following are forms for petitioning to restore a person under guardianship’s right to vote. If an alternate format is needed, please contact the DVC at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To use these forms, the following assumptions must be satisfied:
- The ward or person on behalf of the ward is filing the appropriate form.
- The ward has not been back in court about their guardianship in the last six months.
- The ward’s right to vote was taken away from them at the same time that they were first put under guardianship.
Petition to be Filled by Ward
This form must be filled out by the ward on their own.
- Sample Petition Filed by Ward, fully editable blank form without fillable fields (Word document).
- Sample Petition Filed by Ward, blank form with fillable fields (Word document).