Voting Absentee for the April 7th Election

I voted absentee button with American flag

Because of concerns about COVID-19, the Wisconsin Election Commission is encouraging Wisconsin voters to vote early.  Any Wisconsin voter who is registered to vote, can request an absentee ballot.

If you want to vote absentee, make sure you are registered to vote at your current address and with your current name and request an absentee ballot as soon as possible.

  1. Check your Voter Registration
    • Check your voter registration status at  Click on “My Voter Info” to make sure your voter registration is up to date.
    • If you are not registered to vote, you can register online with a Wisconsin driver’s license or ID card, or by mail with proof of residence, until March 18. After that you can register in person at an early voting site or on Election Day.  Register online at
    • Note:  Wednesday, March 18 at 11:59 PM is the deadline for electors to register to vote by mail or online for the Presidential Preference Primary and Spring Election. After this date, electors must register in person in the municipal clerk’s office or at the polling place.
  2. Request an Absentee Ballot
    There are several ways registered voters can request absentee ballots.

    Online:  If you have internet access, the easiest way is to sign up at MyVote Wisconsin:  Look for the “Vote Absentee” button near the top of the page. On a mobile phone, use the menu button in the upper right corner of the website. There is a three-step process that starts with putting in your name and date of birth, followed by requesting your ballot. If you don’t already have a photo ID on file with your clerk’s office, you can upload a copy. Mobile phone users can take a picture and upload it to MyVote. Absentee ballot requests submitted this way go directly to your clerk’s office, and you can track your ballot by returning to the website.

    By Mail, Email or Fax: You can also request an absentee ballots by mailing, emailing or faxing your municipal clerk’s office with a request for an absentee ballot.  This should include your name, address and how they would like to receive their ballot (by mail or email).  These requests must be accompanied by a copy of your photo ID.   If you already have a photo ID on file from previous absentee requests under your current registration, you will not need to provide it again.

    Clerk’s Information: You can find your clerk’s contact information at

    If You Are “Indefinitely Confined”: Voters who are “indefinitely confined”, meaning they may have difficulty getting to the polls for reason of age, illness, infirmity, or disability are not required to provide a photo ID.  Voters in care facilities can have a representative of the facility confirm the resident’s identity instead of providing a photo ID.  More information on photo ID and exemptions can be found at Note: “Indefinitely confined” status does not mean that that the voter is homebound and can never leave their residence.

    Deadline for requesting absentee ballot:  The deadline for registered voters to request an absentee ballot be mailed to you is the Thursday before the election, April 2nd.  However, the Wisconsin Election Commission urges voters not to wait, due to possible delays in mail delivery.  If you get an absentee ballot mailed to you, you can still decide to vote at the polls on Election Day if you haven’t returned it.

  3. Mail or Deliver Your Absentee Ballot
    You must mail your completed absentee ballot to your clerk or deliver it in person.  Your absentee ballot must be received in your clerk’s office or at your polling place by 8 p.m. on Election Day.  Voters should return and request ballots as soon as possible.
  4. In-Person Absentee Voting at your Municipal Clerk’s Office (Early Voting)
    Another option for early voting is to vote early in-person in your clerk’s office or another location designated for Early Voting/In Person Absentee voting in your municipality.To find the dates and hours for Early Voting voting in your community, contact the municipal clerk for the city, village or town where you live.For contact information for your clerk, go to
  5. If You Live in a Nursing Home or Care Facility
    In past elections, Special Voting Deputies came to many nursing homes and care facilities to conduct in person absentee voting. Because of health concerns, Special Voting Deputies will NOT be visiting nursing homes and care facilities for the April 7 election. Residents of nursing home or care facilities, should ask the Administrator about plans to ensure residents can participate in absentee voting.

Questions? Contact these resources:

Featured Topics

Join our Email List

    By subscribing you agree to receive information from the WDVC and agree with our Privacy Policy. You may unsubscribe at any time.